As Autumn is drawing in and the nights a little cooler the BBQ is not so popular. We find the oven is used a little more or cooking larger cuts on the BBQ so you aren’t continuously out turning and checking. We have some of our favourite marinades that are suitable for both. We use butterflied leg of lamb or a boned shoulder if you want to cook it slower and longer. We open up the chicken so it cooks quicker and more even. To do this take a knife and slice either side of the back bone, then with kitchen scissors cut through the bone down the cut marks right out to the parsons nose. You can then bone out the ribs and bre press down firmly on the legs and it’s ready to go!
Moroccan Lamb Marinade
- Place in blender and blend until smooth
- Cover lamb up to a day or two ahead
- Bake uncovered in oven or on BBQ
- A boned lamb shoulder un rolled is the best cut to use
Chicken Marinade 2 ways
2 cloves garlic
2 inches of ginger
1 tsp Billies “Seasoned Garlic Chilli‘
2 tsp black mustard seeds
Zest and juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup water
- Saute ginger, garlic, seeds and Seasoned Garlic Chilli with oil (do not brown) then add water and lime.
- Blend in blender until smooth then cool.
- Reserve 1/4 cup of marinade and to that add 1/4 cup coconut cream and 1 tsp Billies “Masala“.
- Spread the 2 marinades over 2 butterflied chickens overnight or at least 5 hours. Cook in oven or on BBQ.